Saturday, July 27, 2013

Financial cost of my triathlete habit

When you take up a new hobby or sport it costs you something. Sometimes its VERY expensive. One of my friends calls me the Queen of FREE, I do find a lot of things FREE or very low price. Since we are a family of one income and a part time Avon business, I try to be wise about spending money....So...

 I decided to become a triathlete in January 2013.






I started running with my friend Liz and the Local Fleet Feet store group , Winter Warriors on Tues nights: FREE

Joined CDA Tri + Club $40 year membership

Library books on Triathlons: FREE
So far my absolute Favorite one is Triathlon for Dummies



Reading Blogs like http://www.swimbikemom.com    FREE

Kroc membership- $50-75 /month (have been a member for 2 years now) Use of the Pool, bicycles, treadmills, track, eliptical runner and weights all included

Intermediate/Triathlete Swim class $20 T/Th 6:30am-7:30 am, oops I forgot this when I first posted.

Bike Helmet - borrowed from Cynthia to get started : FREE

Bike Helmet- My own helmet!!!! from Terra Sports in Cda Idaho  $40

Mountain Bike borrowed from Cynthia for a few months: FREE
Tune up on mountain bike at Mountain View Cyclery in Hayden ID $12

So to get started: Basics $112 
(I don't count the Kroc membership, since we have already been members for 2 years, this is not a NEW expense)

************
Past the Basics

February - I  bought a new pair of Nike running shoes $55

then I bought some workout clothes from Target
$21 pants, $6 running shirt (wicking material-dries fast), and $ 6 running bra

Goggles $5 and New Swim Suit from SWIM OUTLET.com $26
(needed the swim suit badly, my other one was a maternity swim suit , from when pregnant with
Jonathan (HE is 11 years old!!! AHH)

The Nike running shoes didn't work out for me, I started having some problems with my knee/IT band, so then I spent some $$$ at Physical Therapy- April, May
***SPECIAL NOTE- my PT Fred says , If you are gonna run, you need to buy good shoes and stretch. You can either put out the money for good shoes or you can pay to come see me when you are injured. WORDS OF WISDOM from Fred the PT******

So.......

June - Bought NICE Running shoes - Get Fitted at a Running Store- I chose  Brooks $145
No more pain in knees or hips, Definitely WORTH IT-

July - Local Bicycle shop- sold me a Used as a Rental - refurbished Road Bike - Raleigh  $325
(No you don't HAVE to have a fancy bike ($4000 yikes)

Books:     $25  The Slow Fat Athlete and  Meredith Atwood's book-Triathlon for the Every Woman: You can Be a Triathlete. Yes. You.


$809 plus the $112 = $921 so far.....


Cycling Gloves- $21 on sale
Odometer for my bike- $31
Spare Tube and Saddle bag $28

So now I am up to $1001. 



No comments:

Dec08 whitestuff

Dec08 whitestuff

Followers of annas5bananas