Monday, October 31, 2011

Seek ye first the Kingdom of God

Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you.
I homeschool because I believe its what God wants me to do. As I seek Him, He helps me with the task that I am taking on.
I have learned some things while home educating my children. I have learned that homeschooling is not for everyone. I have learned that in the beginning, some family members were uneasy about it, but as the years go by, it is more accepted and understood. I have learned that God gave Moms and Dads the wisdom to teach THEIR OWN children and that Families can do it differently and still be pleasing the Lord.
 I went to a seminar in 2003 and heard a lady speak and she said this- Homeschooling should be like a 3 legged stool- those 3 legs being Study/Work/Service. Any one of these overdone can be a problem, but using all three legs keeps your family in balance.

Study- Reading, writing, Bible, Math, Science, Art all the usual classes, plus Sunday school, church services and I like to include Special Preaching meetings- traveling to Revivals/Missions conferences etc. (Bible learning and SOCIALIZATION! LOL)  Too much of this and none of the other can make the children all puffed up, conceited and without consideration for others.

Work- as in housework, yardwork, play work- (like Legos, dolls, playdough, and other play- this is the kind of work children like BEST!) crafts,  wood work, hunting work, fishing, sewing, exercise work, cooking, laundry, etc . Too much of this and no Study- well, lets just say Bartholomew cant read.....???

Service- serving others- Nursing home ministry, 4H programs- community service, church clean up, Fair Booth ministry, Food Bank, raking leaves for a neighbor , you fill in what your family does to serve.  Children learn manners and kindness and to think of someone besides SELF.

One other thing she said- You cant homeschool if youre not HOME. Meaning, too many field trips, parties, vacations and other interruptions take away from their education.

I thought this was very wise counsel from this lady. The only thing I would add to it is PRAYER.

No comments:

Dec08 whitestuff

Dec08 whitestuff

Followers of annas5bananas