Friday, November 20, 2009

Salsa

I went shopping yesterday planning to make tacos for dinner. I looked at the large jar of salsa in the store and it was almost $8.00, not sure how many ounces the container was...but less than 2 quarts I would guess.  I decided to make my own and see what the cost difference was.
 I bought 2 large cans of whole tomatoes $3.00
1 bunch of cilantro (only used half) .50
3 cloves garlic                                 .10
1 jalapeno                                        .08
1 large white onion                          .51
assorted spices, chili powder, garlic salt, cumin . I ran it all through the food processor and $4.18 total for almost 2 quarts of salsa. my #2 son said it was not hot enough for his taste, but for everybody else it was great.

1 comment:

Terry's Wife said...

Anna, that sounds yummy. Back in our FL days, we used to make our own salsa a lot. We even fried cut up tortillas to make our own chips! Thanks for posting this recipe. Your son could probably add a dash or two of hot sauce to spice his up which would only add a bit to the cost, as I think you can usually get a bottle of hot sauce for a dollar to two which would last him awhile. ;)

Dec08 whitestuff

Dec08 whitestuff

Followers of annas5bananas